Denise
Today we had family therapy. I am changing my mind about it. I think Therapist is helpful. I wish Older Boy was more receptive to the help.

Today we were talking about how timeouts work at our house, because Older Boy had requested to Therapist that we start using them at our house. We talked about the two we had since he made the request. He tired of talking about it and declared us done.

He proceeded to clean all of the mud out of his baseball cleats onto the carpet. I told him I needed him to do that outside and he needed to stop and focus on therapy. He chose to go in the kitchen to continue to clean the mud off his shoes. I continued to remind him he was not following directions. Therapist asked him to stop. I gave him a timeout. He chose not to go. I explained that we couldn't leave for baseball until his timeout was complete. He kicked the timeout wall. I asked why and he ran out the front door and around the house and hid under the deck. Therapist and I had to tell him he was wasting our time by not properly doing the timeout. He went back in. Sat down. Yelled about how stupid timeout is and then punching his head a bunch of times.

Finally he calmed down and did the timeout.

Afterward he talked about how we were wasting his time by having him do a timeout. Therapist explained that it was his behavior that wasted the time.

Prayers he is understanding this and that it makes him think before reacting.

Praises Therapist was able to see this happen. Up until now I have only described the behaviors to her. It will give her a better indication of how to help.
0 Responses

Post a Comment