Denise
Because I wait until the last minute for everything and because we have been insanely busy we were at the sporting goods store buying baseball pants and cleats the day before the first baseball game.

It started off well. Younger Boy tried on his sliding shorts and baseball pants. Older Boy tried on a pair of pants that were too big. Grandma got the next size smaller for him. He was convinced those were too small.

Younger Boy and Grandpa went to look at the cleats while Older Boy had a complete meltdown in the dressing room. He was banging his head on the dressing room wall and when I asked him to quit he started screaming and crying. He tried to tell me he fell against the wall three times and he wasn't banging his head. Unfortunately I know the sound of head banging all too well and can easily identify it. He then was screaming about how I never believe him. I don't know what started it. Was it the baseball pants being too small? Was it the dressing room being too much like a closet? I just don't know.

Finally he came out of the dressing room and picked out his cleats. By then I was DONE shopping.

We went and had dinner. Older Boy had totally reverted to his five year old behavior. I recognize it now for what it is. When he is struggling he is back at the age when his initial trauma occurred. It is so hard to parent someone who is sometimes 13 or 14, sometimes 4 or 5.

Praises Mom and Dad were with us at the store. I couldn't have done it by myself. It is too exhausting.

Prayers one day things will just go a little bit smoother.
0 Responses

Post a Comment