Denise
Older Boy decided he wanted to do time outs, because they work for him at daycare. I went to daycare this afternoon to learn the EXACT process...what words do I use, where does he sit, how does it work, how do they tell him to go...etc. Older Boy is very literal so the details are very important.

My training came into practice tonight when Older Boy decided he was going to be disrespectful when asked to do something. It is exhausting to have someone reply to you "that's retarded" or "that's bad parenting" every time you ask them to do anything.

To my surprise Older Boy went immediately to the agreed upon place when asked to do a timeout. He did not calm down...which is a requirement...for the actual timeout to start. I have a hard time believing you when you SHOUT "I am calm".

Finally he calmed down and I started counting...to 300...by 5s. I learned from daycare that they take as little or as long as they like between the counting based on the actions. His other option is the timer. Daycare says he always picks counting. They think it is because you have to remain engaged.

I think this will work. I believe the challenge will be actually having him go to timeout when asked.

Praises for daycare. They are helping more than words can say.
0 Responses

Post a Comment