Denise
This morning as I was getting ready to leave Older Boy decided that he was going to tell Younger Boy what he would be doing all day.

I kindly told Older Boy he needed to stop...after Younger Boy told him to stop.

Older Boy chose not to stop. I told him he needed a timeout for not following directions. This is closely related to the point system both in telling Younger Boy what to do and not following directions.

Older Boy chose to remove his shoe and throw it at the wall.

I explained he could get himself to timeout or I could take him there. His choice, but it was time for him to go. He finally got himself there. It wasn't pretty.

When he got there it took 15 minutes for him to calm down. Daycare had advised me to tell him "you are wasting my time" when he chooses this behavior. Once he had settled down and I started counting...his choice...about halfway through he chose to yell "this is not my fault" and "I didn't mean to throw my shoe". I didn't engage in conversation. This resulted in "I knew you hated me and just want me to leave". One day I hope he realizes that if that were the case he would already be gone.

I keep wondering if he will ever realize that if you use the timer it will actually only be five minutes of timeout.

Older Boy told me he changed his mind. He doesn't want to use timeouts at home anymore.

Unfortunately we are going to...I think they will work.

Praises for a behavior strategy that is working.

Prayers I will continue to have the patience and follow through with the timeouts.
0 Responses

Post a Comment