Denise
Today was NOT a good day.

This morning we were cleaning the house, because it was truly a disaster area. We have since made a rule that we are going to clean for 10 minutes each night before bed.

I assigned Older Boy to vacuum the basement and Younger Boy to vacuum the upstairs, because it is the opposite of what they did the last time. This was NOT what Older Boy wanted. He went to his room and cried for fifteen minutes yelling "It isn't fair. No one wants me to do what I want to do. You always take his side." It's vacuuming. You'll do the upstairs next time. Younger Boy offered to trade him. Nope...not happening.

The afternoon was relatively calm. What I didn't realize was that it was the calm before the storm.

At dinner I gave Older Boy the option of milk or water for dinner. He wanted Hawaiian Punch. He got mad. I didn't back down. I can't give him his way every time he gets angry. I again gave the option of milk or water. He answered with banging his head on the table...HARD. I asked him to go to his room, because he wasn't being safe. He stood up and flung a 20 ounce bottle of red Hawaiian punch into the living room as hard as he could. It hit the fireplace mantel and exploded. Now there is red punch on the fireplace, TV, sliding glass door, blinds, furniture, carpet, ceiling and all of the walls. Again I ask him to go to his room and tell him that I am going to have to call 911 if he doesn't calm down. He kicked a hole in the closet door at the top of the stairs. I got the phone to call 911 and he punched a hole in the hallway wall and kicked a hole in his bedroom door. I was shaking as I called 911.

Younger Boy did an AMAZING job of following our home safety plan and going to his safe place. I called Mentor R to come over and take Younger Boy or at least hang out with him until the whole thing blew over.

It took almost 15 minutes for the sheriff to get to our house. By this time Older Boy was in the hallway sobbing. I had the option of keeping him at home, sending him to an inpatient facility or having him taken away for the property damage. I kept him at home. The sheriff did a REALLY good job of talking to him about making better choices.

Older Boy went to his room when the sheriff left and Younger Boy, Mentor R, and I cleaned up as much of the punch as we could. The carpet is ruined and the doors will need to be replaced. This is just "stuff", but Older Boy needs to learn to manage his anger, because he is really going to get hurt one of these days.
0 Responses

Post a Comment