Denise
Well….we made it through family therapy tonight. It was better than last time, but I have mixed feelings if this therapist is the right one for us. Younger Boy participates partially and Older Boy doesn’t participate at all. It has been suggested to me Older Boy would do much better with play therapy than with talk therapy. I can see how that might be true.

The boys were playing with some action figures on the way to therapy and it was interesting. They were assigning roles to the characters and saying things like “I’ll be the step father” and “Did he know the biodad?” I wonder if it was because they knew we were headed to therapy.

I agreed to weekly family therapy….which I also have mixed feelings about. Older Boy REFUSES to talk about anything other than the things that happened at school that day. He won’t even talk about what happened at home that day. He also won’t talk about the future. When he is asked a question he covers his ears and screams….”I am not talking about it”. You might wonder how this could be BETTER than last time…you’ll just have to trust me on that one.

Pray there is something to get through to Older Boy which will then help his relationship with Younger Boy. He says over and over “this doesn’t work” and “we’re never going to have a good relationship”. I talked a lot to him about how he has to do his part or it won’t work for anyone and how it is important to me that he tries while he lives with me. That just makes him mad.

Pray for wisdom about therapists. My hesitation to meet every week is that we might develop a bit of relationship and then change and I wonder if that is more damaging than just trying to switch now or waiting and switching while we can.

It breaks my heart that Older Boy thinks things will never change and that he has already done “everything” to make it better.

Thanks for listening and for your prayers!!
0 Responses

Post a Comment