Denise
Middle Boy came out of therapy tonight almost energized.  Like a weight had been lifted.  You could see it in his body language and on his face.

He said tonight Therapist L had really helped him understand something he didn't want to believe before.  The talked about his anger issues and did some "detective work".  They figured out that his anger is still very strong and very real toward his mom.  That situations and people trigger memories and his disrespect and anger is very real toward adult women.

I just listened.  I didn't let on that I "knew" this was the case all along.  That doesn't help healing.  You have to figure it out yourself.

He went on to say he thinks this is why he has trouble with women teachers and with me.  He apologized to me.  He said he knows that he is over the top a lot of the time, but it isn't me he is mad at.  It is his mom.  Again...I didn't say anything.

I told him I thought it was good he was willing to talk about this.  That the more you are able to talk about it the more it desensitizes you to the associated feelings.

He got kind of quiet and said "I don't like to talk to you about her."  I asked why.  In my mind thinking he didn't want to hurt my feelings or dishonor her or a myriad of other things.  His answer was a lot more simple.  "Because she isn't my mom.  You are."

This boy is starting to heal.  I get to witness it firsthand.  Do I think there won't be valleys along the way?  I'm not naive.

Thank you God for allowing me to see you change a heart and heal old wounds.  Thanks for picking me for Middle Boy.
0 Responses

Post a Comment