Denise
The rest of the car ride home we talked about triggers.  Middle Boy asked if I knew what any of his triggers are.  My initial thought...I don't live under a rock.

Yes.  I know some of yours.  Being interrupted.  Not feeling heard.  Making a mistake.  Spilling food or drink on your clothes.  Being late.  Having to use a public restroom. 

I asked if he knew any of mine.  He thought of some.  Honestly...he was spot on.  Being late.  Having something of mine damaged.  Accusations about things I already feel guilty about.  Any reference to not being a good mom.  Raised voices.

Then we talked about some of Younger Boy's.  Both of us noticed some of the same.  Not wanting to be in a restroom.  Especially if it involves showering.  Sleeping.  Being told no.  Making a mistake.

It was an interesting conversation.  Very interesting.
0 Responses

Post a Comment