Denise
Tonight I got a report on Middle Boy when I got to the center to pick him up.

As soon as I heard it I immediately thought it was the third strike.  He said he met with the director and it wasn't the third strike, but instead he was commended for helping a fellow classmate out.  How can the stories be so different?

Tomorrow I will have to call the director to find out what went on.

It was a good opportunity for Middle Boy and I to talk about impressions and perception.  He told me that whenever there is trouble everyone always just assumes it is him, but that he is trying to change.  I explained that when you have given someone an impression or perception of you it is REALLY HARD work to change that.  I also explained that with each new place you have the chance to set that perception.  He can go to high school next year and it is a clean slate.  A new afterschool program...clean slate.  Kind of like Christianity...clean slate.

His opinion of himself is so low that he assumes everyone is against him and he will get the bad deal.  We are working to change that.  Has his life been fair?  No.  Does he need to hold on to the role of the victim?  No.

Prayers he will take our conversation to heart.
0 Responses

Post a Comment