Denise
All during camp I was trying to stay in the moment.  In the present with these girls.

One of the things I have realized about this journey is that God has made me bold.  Bold in ways when sometimes I even think "who has the courage to say that?"  I also noticed how many times God gives me the words I need right when I need them.  How He speaks through me.

There are two specific instances where this comes to mind.  This first was this...I was in the craft building sitting working on crafts with Camper G who I have known for about four years.  She has been in my cabin a couple of times and I've done relief for her a couple of times.  On this particular day I noticed G is a cutter.  For those of you who don't know the term it is a self-harming technique in which you physically cut yourself.  She cuts her forearm...on the top.  The scars are DEEP.  Some were fresh.  Ordinarily I would look away or pretend I didn't notice.  God didn't let me.  Instead I tapped the scars very softly and said "do you want to talk about this?".  I told her she could absolutely tell me that it was none of my business, but she didn't.  Instead she told me she wasn't quite ready, but before the end of the weekend she would.

On Sunday morning at breakfast G came to me and as I put my arm around her she told me about her view on her life and how it is hard.  I asked her if cutting made how hard life was go away.  She said no, but she didn't know how to stop.  I asked her to make me a deal.  That instead of cutting her arm when things were hard would she instead take a deep breath and pray.  Ask God to make the hard things more bearable and take away the desire to hurt herself.  She agreed and she told me she will let me know how it is going.

The other instance was with Camper A.  She was semi freaking out at the lake, because she didn't know how to swim.  She was wearing a life jacket, but she was scared other girls would push her under.  She was in a mini-meltdown.  I stopped her on the beach.  I had her look at me and I explained how the life jacket works.  I told her if she just relaxes and lays her head back the jacket will keep her face out of the water.  Then I volunteered to help her learn to swim the next day.  What?  I hate swimming.  Why am I volunteering to help someone learn to swim?  Thanks God.

As I reflect I see growth.  Bold growth.  Sometimes I look at the things I do.  Things where I am courageous and bold...both not by nature....and wonder.

Praises for these girls who help me see the courage God has given me to be bold.
0 Responses

Post a Comment