Denise
Tonight bedtime was rough again.

We didn't get home from Middle Boy's therapy until after Younger Boy's bedtime.  His task when he got home was to take Sophie out and then get in the shower and go to bed.  Nearly two hours later he was just getting out of the shower.

He was in the kitchen wandering around and I asked him to please go get into bed.  This resulted in him going in his room and screaming "f*** you, all I wanted was a snack". 

He never mentioned a snack when he was in the kitchen.  He was playing with Sophie and spinning around.  I must not understand what grabbing a snack looks like.

I had him come back out and discuss a better way to handle what had just happened.  He screamed, "Why don't you just give me a consequence?  How about no TV for a week?  How about a month?"  Really?  That isn't even what I asked.  I asked how it could have been handled differently.

He did a redo.  He went into the kitchen.  I asked him to go to bed.  He said he was a little bit hungry.  I told him to grab a string cheese and head for bed.  Much smoother, but apparently we had to go through the stinkier way to handle it first.

Praises for teachable moments.  Prayers for learning to control anger.
0 Responses

Post a Comment