Denise
Middle Boy's bag is going to be the death of me.

I think I have mentioned this bag before.  It is actually a backpack filled with EVERYTHING he deems important.  It is a bag he could grab at anytime in a moments notice if he had to leave and he would have the things he cares about.

I get why he has the bag.  I really do.  He has moved FOURTEEN times.  Some of those at the last minute with no notice or chance to gather his things.  Not only has he lost his family, but truly nearly every material possession he has ever really cared about.  I get it.

I am having a hard time understanding why the reliance on the bag is getting stronger.  It used to be that the stuff was just in a pile on his dresser.  Then the stuff moved into a bag which he left at home under his bed.  Then the bag became something which went everywhere with him and now the bag literally cannot be out of his sight.

This is causing a problem at home, because he likes to keep the bag on the floor next to him.  Sophie likes to chew on the bag.  It is part of their love/hate relationship.  He refuses to pick up the bag and put it somewhere Sophie can't get it.  He would rather yell at her and scold her. 

I asked him to be part of the solution by picking up the bag.  In fact I asked FIVE times for him to be part of the solution.  I picked up the bag.  You would have thought I set the bag on fire from the reaction I got. 

I really want to understand the reliance on the bag.  He isn't going to be able to lug it around to his classes at school in less than two weeks.  I'm not sure what to do about it.

Prayers for wisdom in how to talk about the bag and Middle Boy's reliance on it.
0 Responses

Post a Comment