Denise
The boys and I are working on math again.  Earlier this week I bought workbooks at the level where I think they really are...third grade.  We had a discussion about not freaking out when they saw the level on the workbook, just working through it and learning math.

We are going to work on math 30 minutes a day until the boys feel better about math.  How long will that be?  I'm not sure.  I am not expecting math wizards, but just not a fear of math.  They are both smart boys.  They just didn't get a fair shot in math.  If you moved four times every school year you probably wouldn't be good at math either.

This is what blessed me tonight.  The boys sat down at the kitchen table without complaining.  Younger Boy set the timer for 30 minutes and they started.  They stayed focused and worked at their own pace asking questions as needed.  At the end of the thirty minutes they gave me their work to check.  They went back and corrected their work where they had an incorrect answer and I signed off on the sheets.

At the end they both thanked me.  What?  I wasn't torturing them?

They even asked what time we were going to start doing math tomorrow night.  This makes me proud.  It makes me happy they are open to learning and hopeful for the upcoming school year.

Praises for focus and learning.  Prayers for continued good attitudes.
0 Responses

Post a Comment