Denise
So...at our house the allowance and chore thing has been morphing over time.  I am hoping what we are starting this weekend will be the last changes we make.

In some ways the boys are like toddlers in terms of making requests when we are shopping.  There is rarely a time at the store they don't want a toy or candy or something.  I don't think either of them has ever worked on this with them.

Here is what I decided....

We still have the chore chart and the "just because you live here" chart.  The chore chart has tasks the boys can earn money for.  The pay is based on earning five dollars and hour and me figuring out how long the task should take.  The chore has to be logged on the day it was done and signed off by me.

The "just because you live here" chart are things you must do, because you are a member of this family.  For these things, if they go undone, you are fined.  They are things like picking up your own dishes and putting them in the dishwasher, cleaning up your own trash, hanging your towel after showering, and putting your clothes in a hamper.  The fine is twenty-five cents per item and the tasks must be done before 8PM.
I log these on the chart.

The new item is this...an allowance.  The boys will each get money for the week.  They must follow the 80/10/10 rule with it.  From this money they will be buying their "wants".  I will continue to purchase their needs and their wants (at my discretion), but all other wants come from their money.

They can no longer "borrow" money from me.  They must remain debt free.

I bought them each a ledger.  Honestly the purpose was two-fold.  It is to teach them to track where their money comes from and goes, but it is also to help them with math.  They are keeping a running log of their money in the ledger.

Is this complicated?  Yes.  Will it be easy to manage?  The chore chart has gone smoothly for the last few months.  Will trips to the store be easier?  Hopefully since I won't have to entertain a bunch of "needs" anymore.

Prayers for implementation and follow through.
0 Responses

Post a Comment