Denise
Today we went school shopping…each boy individually.

Younger Boy went first while Older Boy stayed home with Babysitter J. We went to a sporting goods store to buy tennis shoes and ONE shirt and to another store to buy everything else we needed. I gave the boys a budget for the shoes.
Younger Boy found his shoes IMMEDIATELY. He had been “dreaming” about having the same shoes as Middle Cousin J. He found them. They had them. We did have to have a discussion about the shoes needing to fit, because the first ones were too big. He just wanted to get them, because they were the shoes. I convinced him to try them on in a smaller size. They fit BETTER and he could still get “his” shoes.

We went down the street to finish his shopping. We had a lot of fun and laughed a lot about what he should get. In the end he was pretty excited about his new clothes and his new shoes.

As we were walking back to the car he said “Mom, can we just spend more time together today? Just me and you? I had a lot of fun.” It broke my heart. I wanted to. I REALLY did. Younger Boy gets so little of my undivided attention because Older Boy demands so much of it. I promised him we would go on a date…soon. He made me promise to stop calling it a date, because it was creepy.

The shopping experience with Older Boy was entirely different. We went to the same sporting goods store with the same budget. While they sell about 1.5 million different kinds of shoes there were NONE there that Older Boy wanted. I pulled one of the sales people aside and asked him to measure Older Boy’s foot and then explained our situation. I told him our budget. He knew Older Boy’s size and I asked him to pull four black pair that met the requirements while we went to the other store. He was happy to help.

We went to the other store where Older Boy insisted on getting all the same pair of jeans and athletic pants. MULTIPLES. Whatever. He doesn’t have any pants that fit from last year. At least he found some. He picked out a couple of shirts and back we went to the sporting goods store.

Back at the sporting goods store the worker had pulled four pair. Older Boy was able to focus and make a decision. He loves his shoes. There were too many choices earlier. I need to write a letter commending the employee. He didn’t have to do that for us.

Praises school shopping is DONE! Praises for amazing customer service to make shopping with Older Boy change course midway through!

Prayers I can spend more alone time with Younger Boy. He is craving it right now.
0 Responses

Post a Comment