Denise
Tonight on the way home from daycare Older Boy told me he is in charge of what happens and he doesn't have to listen to what I say.  He said "in fact, I don't need a parent".

I told him to let me know where he wanted me to stop for him to pick up his groceries for his dinner.  He said he didn't have any money and I would have to buy them.  I explained that he said he didn't need a parent.  I also asked where he was planning to sleep tonight, because if he didn't need a parent there was really no reason for him to live with me.  He told me I was just being a jerk.

He then went on to explain to me that last night I should have given him an eighth chance to turn his behavior around.  I said explained that it went like this:  I asked you to stop, you had a chance, I asked you to stop, you had a chance, I asked you to stop, you had a chance...all the way to seven chances.  I asked why I should trust that on the eighth time he would actually do what I am asking.  He swore that absolutely would have happened and I just don't like him.

He said if he lived in another home he wouldn't have to follow rules.  Especially if it was a group home.  By this time Therapist J was at our house and was talking to him about taking accountability for his actions. 

They had a long talk about how when you talk to someone over and over about the same thing and no progress is being made you have to wonder if the other person cares about getting better.  He said "if we practiced soccer for five weeks would you expect us to be better at soccer?".  Older Boy said yes.  Then he went on to say "What about accountability?  We have talked about it for five weeks and should you be practicing and getting better?"  Older Boy immediately pretended to be sleeping and started snoring.  This is his typical MO with Therapist J when he doesn't like what he is saying.

Older Boy needs to do his part.  I wonder sometimes if he is even capable of it.

Prayers for Older Boy to get it.
0 Responses

Post a Comment