Denise
Tonight was Older Boy's school open house.  I read everything about it and decided we would go a little later since Older Boy doesn't typically do well in big crowds.  Little did I know it was one of those open houses where you go from class to class throughout the day and we should have been there the whole time. It didn't say that anywhere...if it did we would have gone when it started.

As it ended up we were there for class periods four through nine.  There really weren't that many people there.  I was surprised by that.  In one class we were the only family.  Really?  Do parents care that little?

I got to talk to all of Older Boy's teachers.  All of them commented on the frequency with which he goes to the nurse's office and needs to use the restroom.  (Anxiety?)  I asked all of them about he modification he was receiving to homework.  Most said it is the same questions, but less of them.  The science teacher did say that Older Boy is behind, but is really trying hard and has been coming in for extra help during his study period.  That is all we can ask!

I met the holder of his IEP.  She seems nice.  She actually was with us for part of the time, because she is with him in three consecutive classes.  She told me he frequently shuts down when she asks him to do things.  He started doing it during the open house and I basically modeled how I handle it when he is shutting down and needs to be doing something.  I could tell she was making mental notes.  Maybe it was in "how not to handle it"...I don't know.

Younger Boy did well.  He did ALL of the sample math problems during the open house.  He followed directions for the most part and didn't do a lot of attention-seeking behaviors.  Really...that is a pretty great night for him!

Praises for amazing teachers and their willingness to work with Older Boy and with me on this academic journey this year.
0 Responses

Post a Comment