Denise
Middle Boy has been diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) many years ago. 

Tonight we were working on his math homework and got all of the problems done.  He doesn't have a lot of confidence in math.  In his words "I would get started on decimals and then have to move and they would be doing fractions and then I would move and they were doing square roots.  I don't actually know how to do any of them because I have never been anywhere long enough." 

I felt like we had a small victory when we had done twelve problems.  In the beginning he was saying "I'm stupid" when he didn't either know what to do or when he made an error on a problem.  I would gently remind him he is NOT stupid, but that he hadn't gotten a fair hand dealt to him in math.  I also explained that I would help him to change that.  I might not be good at all school subjects, but math I can do.  In the end he was actually smiling and giving me a high five when we got the same answer on the problems on the first try.

Out of the blue after homework he said "They say I have reactive attachment disorder.  I just don't think I have ever met anyone I wanted to bond with until now."

Prayers for continued learning in math and for bonding.  I'm not sure I agree with the RAD diagnosis.
0 Responses

Post a Comment