Denise
Older Boy had a tough time at daycare today.  He was being unsafe when they were on the playground.  He was told to quit once and redirected twice.  As a result he received a timeout. 

It took Daycare A thirty-five minutes to get him into timeout.  The entire time he was calling her profane names and kicking the fence outdoors.  When she thought she had him calmed down and headed to timeout he tried to climb the fence and run away.

My typical routine is to ask him how his day was when I picked him up.  He said "Good."  Daycare A told him she needed to talk to me and he immediately started sulking and kicking the bookshelf.  I'm pretty sure he knew he was in trouble.

She told me the story and said they are finally starting to get the behaviors I get all the time at home.  They weren't sure they ever would.

On the drive home I asked Older Boy about appropriate language and behavior.  I asked when it was okay to say the "f" word.  He said never.  I asked why it happens then.  He tells me it "slips out".  I explained that he is going to have to start taking a breath before talking or yelling or it he is going to get in even more trouble.  He told me it is always going to happen.  I think that is what makes me the most frustrated with him.  I explained that by saying that he is choosing not to change his behavior.

When we got home he wanted to watch a movie.  Nope...you had a bad day at daycare and you get a consequence at home for that.  It isn't only theirs to deal with.  Same goes with school.

Prayers he would start to understand this.  I am tired of fighting this battle every day.  Pray for strength and wisdom for me.
0 Responses

Post a Comment