Denise
I just spent the last 30 minutes on the phone talking to Therapist J about options with Younger Boy.  He and GAL had lunch earlier this week and were discussing the case and their thoughts on how best to help Younger Boy.

First and foremost I want Younger Boy to get the help he needs.  I want him to heal and for him to one day be able to develop healthy relationships and love others.  On the path he is currently on it isn't clear if this will be attainable.  I am learning that while unconditional love is incredibly helpful in all cases sometimes more than love is necessary.

I know God can heal all things.  I know God has a plan for Younger Boy.  I know I am an instrument for God to use in the life of Younger Boy.  HE has placed me in Younger Boy's life to be his advocate and his mom.  In Younger Boy's case I am responsible for much.

At this point in time it seems there are two completely separate and distinct options available to Younger Boy.  Both would make me a permanent fixture in his life, but are vastly different. 

The options are this:

1.  Younger Boy would remain in my home and continue with his current therapy.  This therapy would increase to two days a week.  We would evaluate progress after a few months of a consistent therapist and make a determination whether there is improvement in behaviors and accountability.  In this option I could become the adoptive parent of Younger Boy at any time.

2.  Younger Boy would go to a group home specializing in the type of behaviors he struggles with.  Prior to his going to this home I would become his guardian and remain consistent in his life through his duration at the group home.  Upon completion of their program I could continue to be his guardian OR pursue adoption.

Obviously there are no guarantees either way.  Therapist J thinks Younger Boy is a borderline case for a group home.  His thoughts, which I whole-heartedly agree with, are that the episodes with Younger Boy are become more and more frequent and more and more intense.  He also feels like Younger Boy has become less open to therapy in the time they have worked together.

So...here are the questions...

1.  What is the best for Younger Boy?
2.  Who is the right person/people to make the decision?
3.  If a group home is the ultimate answer then should it be now or later?
4.  What does adoption look like if he needs to go later?
5.  What does guardianship look like?
6.  What is the right thing to do?
7.  How will Younger Boy become the best possible version of himself?

Obviously much prayer is needed on this topic.  As always in the system there are imminent deadlines associated with the case.  We have to have our plan at the next court date.  I believe that is in four weeks.

Pray for wisdom and clear direction.  Pray for the case professionals working as a team and not adversaries.  Pray for the healing of Younger Boy and the right doors to open in order for that to happen.  Pray God's will be done in this case.
0 Responses

Post a Comment