Denise
As I have been in the Marshall Islands I have noticed so many things about life there which is so very different from life at home.

First...it would be so easy to not concern yourself with anything other than the present here in Majuro.  There TV is tape delayed from South Korea, Australia, and the United States TWO WEEKS or more.  In fact I watched the Super Bowl tonight.  NO JOKE.

Second...there doesn't seem to be much regard for taking care of things.  It is evident pretty much all over.  From the cars to their buildings to their health...everything.  There was a comment made in our meeting that all buildings are expendable.  We tried very hard to explain in most locales maintenance is done on buildings to prolong their life.  The building we were studying actually had stalactites growing in the ceiling space.  There were no words.

This country is a cash only society.  Maybe that would be a really cool thing here.

I like some of the things here, some of them make me incredibly sad...and I am ready to go home.
0 Responses

Post a Comment